Play Plan : Card Game 0
Card deck: Junior Card
Play arena: Standard
Number of players: 4
Game overview and basic rules for play
The objective of the game is to make players familiar with the cards by identifying the card number (counting the dots/bindis) and their suit (tactile shapes). The game starts with the players all being dealt 1 or 2 cards each. Players then identify their card number, card suit and then whoever has the highest number card/lowest number card wins the game.
Play session plans
- Place board on the floor and ask children to sit one facing each of the four sides of the board.
- Ask them to say who is on their left and who is on their right and who is on their front. Reach out and hold hands with that child as they say the name.
- Deal one card to each of them from 1 to 4 of the same suit in their slots.
- Ask them to pick up their card and examine the cards. Ask one child at a time to say what they find interesting in their card. Direct their finger to the suit and tactiles if needed. Distinguish between the front and back (face up and face down).
- Give each card the proper name such as “4 spades” or “3 diamonds” etc. When everyone knows what card they have. Ask them to put their card to the slot of the child to their right.
- Ask them to pick up and repeat the above two more times, till all the four have seen all the four cards.
- Play 2-3 times more rounds of the game.
- Ask them to put their cards in the discard slot on the centre of the board face up.
- Ask the children if they remember the game.
- If there are any students who were absent from the previous session, ask the children to explain to him/her what the game is all about.
- When you think the children are clear about the cards (suit and number), start playing.
- This time deal same card of four different suits to each of them in their slots.
- Similar to the first session, give each card the proper name “4 spades”, “4 diamonds” etc. When everyone knows what card they have. Ask them to put their card to the slot of the child to their right.
- Ask them to pick up and repeat the above two more times, till all the four have seen all the four cards of different suits.
- Give one more round with the 2 from all 4 suits.
- Ask them to put their cards in the discard slot face up.
- In this session, start playing ‘identify your card’ game.
- Deal a random card to each child and ask them to identify it.
- Circulate it to the next person and repeat identification. Help those who are not being able to do so.
- After the first round, introduce one more part to the game, whoever has the ‘biggest number’ wins.
- Play 2-3 more rounds and now introduce a small change in the game as ‘whoever has the lowest number, wins the game’.
- Today, play the same game and let the children deal the cards themselves. Ask the first child to deal one card to each of the four slots starting from the person on the left and stop when she deals a card to her own slot.
- Let them identify their cards and whoever has the highest number card wins the game.
- In the next round, the next child deals the card and the game continues but this time deal two cards at a time and whoever has the biggest card among the two wins the game.
- After the winner is decided, both cards can be dumped on the discard pile in the centre.